Friday, June 25, 2010

More on the Rudd Assassination

I’m not going to stop writing about Kevin Rudd and his political assassination, and I hope to be able to find the time in my very busy life as a mother to explain why my interests are currently focused on these subjects rather than my usual fascinations with synaesthesia and Asperger syndrome, and interesting, important and creative people who have these conditions. I have no delusion that I am any kind of political commentator, but I do have opinions and observations that I'd like to share. Last night I was listening to the radio while doing the “Mum’s Taxi” thing, and I was fortunate to chance upon a repeat of Late Night Live with Phillip Adams on ABC Radio National, which included an interesting discussion of the Rudd assassination, including discussion with Laura Tingle and David Marr, who’s recent very interesting essay about Rudd I’ve written about recently, (and hope to write about more in the future). Do have a listen to this discussion. It is available over the internet.

One thing that I found most interesting about this discussion is that apparently Rudd put it on record in a speech that it was Gillard and Swan’s idea to give up on the ETS, and Rudd had opposed this at some point of time, but still took responsibility for the final decision (at 18.50 into the RN streaming audio). I believe the backflip on the ETS had an important negative effect on Rudd’s popularity with the public. If this is true it would be most consistent with my hubby’s theory that the people who run the ALP (whoever they are) set Rudd up for a fall, and had never really wanted a person like Rudd as a leader, but used Rudd and his good image as an effective means of getting rid of John Howard. My hubby is not a political commentator, and many of his views are most extreme and (shall we say) highly original, but this rings true to me. What do you think? I’d love to have more comments from my readers (I know someone is reading this stuff – who are you people?)


"Julia Gillard new Prime Minister "
Late Night Live with Phillip Adams
Radio National
http://www.abc.net.au/rn/latenightlive/stories/2010/2936384.htm

No comments: