Saturday, December 04, 2010

I love this quote


“This is another man I can never know because I can never talk with him, for I am a mute and cannot speak. I am cut off from other men, but in my own silence I can hear things they cannot hear, know things they can never know.”

- Finn the Mute, a character played by Skelton Knaggs, from the 1943 movie The Ghost Ship, produced by Val Lewton.


Memorable fictional characters portraying autistic traits or themes
http://incorrectpleasures.blogspot.com/2006/11/memorable-fictitious-characters_3339.html

(unfinished article) Val Lewton, producer of classic horror movies - have I solved a mystery?

http://incorrectpleasures.blogspot.com/2010/09/unfinished-article-val-lewton-producer.html

2 comments:

krex said...

Perhaps he would nit have been MUTE if he had lived in this computer age...had it not been for the internet and spell check, I would seldom be able to communicate...then again, how much am I losing by not being mute ? If you hear a tree fall in the forest but can't tell anyone about it....did the tree really fall .

Thanks for sharing the words of a mute .

Lili Marlene said...

In case anyone is wondering how a mute character delivered a line of dialogue, this was a scene where thoughts are made audible, but his lips didn't move.

Spell check is indeed a revolutionary tool. Spelling is a strange thing. On one side of our family there are people who have always spelled effortlessly since early childhood, but there is another branch in our family of terrible spellers. For some reason, there seems to be a link between being an engineer and poor spelling. No one should be penalised for being unable to spell.