Saturday, June 21, 2008

I have noticed that a reading of the popular volume of autobiography of Janet Frame, An Angel at my Table, is coming up on Monday morning on First Person on ABC Radio National 810am. In 2007 Janet Frame was identified posthumously by a NZ doctor as having had "high-functioning autism", but during her lifetime she had been given the diagnosis of schizophrenia which was later disputed by another doctor during her lifetime.
http://www.abc.net.au/rn/firstperson/stories/2008/2209650.htm

1 comment:

CS McClellan/Catana said...

I haven't gotten around to reading her autobiography, but I have the movie, which first introduced me to her. I haven't watched it in quite a while, and it never occured to me that she might be autistic. Now I'll have to track down the book. The movie is very sympathetic, but I wouldn't count on any movie to give an accurate picture. Thanks for the mention.

I've also put Nettle's book on personality on my reading list, and I'm looking forward to reading it.