Tuesday, August 26, 2008


Has Lili Marlene discovered another form of synaesthesia?

Would you call this “music-motion synaesthesia” or “music-spatial synaesthesia”?

The other day I was looking through a dusty drawer full of old cassette tapes, hoping to find some old musical gem, with the intention of horrifying/fascinating our teens, and reliving the music of my youth.

While playing an old favourite track “That’s Pep” from the Devo LP “Freedom of Choice” I remembered that I have always been most impressed by the fact that this track has a simple, cute, twangy electronic sound repeated often in it that goes in a circle. Those clever technical Devo people! How did they manage to coax some musical notes into going in a circle? It’s no wonder they look so smug, in those red plastic hats.





3 comments:

Pat said...

For more about synesthesia, visit
www.bluecats.info

Lili Marlene said...

I must admit I haven't read the book about synaesthesia "Blue cat and chartreuse kittens", only because the library doesn't have it (useless library).

The web site based on the book looks like a most useful and interesting resource about synaesthesia. If I ever get the time, I'll give it the attention that it deserves (these kids keep me so busy).

Lili Marlene said...

Correction! This is the correct title of the book by Patricia Lynne Duffy:
"Blue Cats and Chartreuse Kittens: How Synesthetes Color Their Worlds"
it's first edition published by W. H. Freeman in 2001.