Tuesday, October 08, 2013

I think you'll love this book (and it isn't my book)

If you've enjoyed reading at this blog and also in my book about Daniel Tammet about the past of Daniel Tammet or any of my other pieces of writing which dispute popular or expert views on cases and issues, then I think I've discovered a book that you will love to read.

Blind Spot: Why We Fail to See the Solution Right in Front of Us.
by
Dr. Gordon Rugg and Joseph D'Agnese
http://www.amazon.com/Blind-Spot-Solution-Right-Front/dp/0062097903

Why do I think my readers will enjoy this book? Let me list the reasons.

1. It is a book about identifying where expert and professional reasoning has gone wrong. These authors do not blindly accept everything that doctors or experts say or write. In my blog and my books I am also not afraid to question the experts and the doctors and the scientists.

2. Although the authors do not blindly respect expertise, they still respect science and rationality and reason and the kind of learning that goes on in universities. This book isn't a piece of junk science and it isn't something from the lunatic fringe. One of the authors is "head of the Knowledge Modelling Group at Keele University and a visiting Senior Research Fellow at the Open University" He gets his work published in peer-reviewed journals. In my blog and my books I also respect the ideas of science and learning, and I criticise the work of professors and researchers in the hope of improving and furthering science, not rubbishing the idea of scientific progress.

3. Autism is discussed in this book and accepted ideas and definitions of autism are disputed. In my blog autism is also a main theme, and I'm happy to pick fault with the way society thinks about this controversial concept.

4. This book is a book about solving mysteries, and it includes a detailed account of solving a mystery and also a new methodology for solving mysteries. Everyone loves a mystery! And everyone also loves to witness the unfolding of the solution of a mystery.

I'm sure there are many more reasons to love this book, but I've got things to do right now. Expect to see more added to this post, and go read the book!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recommendation! I enjoyed the book.

Tomas