Wednesday, May 14, 2014

I knew it I knew it I knew it

Yesterday it was fun enough to walk into a sizeable city bookshop that I'd never explored before. I instantly spotted a small and modestly-priced book almost hidden among the larger books on the new titles table at the entrance. This book caught my eye because it has biographical content about one of the most interesting people I've written about at this blog. I grabbed a copy and flicked to the beginning of the chapter about the interesting person, and then it was one of those moments of extreme but private amazement, when a fairly profound, original and long-considered theory was found to be confirmed. I am just so right that I amaze myself sometimes. More details later. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your thoroughly resesrched blog...very revealing! I am sure Daniel Tammet will be hot on the heals of the new law passed in Europe that affects Google searches and 'The right to be forgotten'! All of those archived pages might disappear forever into the colourful world of DT's pseudoether. Keep up your immensely inspiring work - your blog gives me hope :)

Lili Marlene said...

Thanks for your kind words! If you like my blog, please don't keep it a secret, and if you like any of my ebooks, feel free to post a book review at Smashwords or anywhere else and tell your friends about my stuff. I need all the help I can get. I plan to put out an even bigger and more readable new edition of my Tammet ebook, but I'm pretty sure that you should be able to access it if you buy the current version now.

Regarding the new law - if it only affects Google that won't make much difference to the archiving of the internet because Google isn't an archive. It only appears to keep cached content for a short time, and is not really much use as an archive, and this seems to apply to all search engines. As far as I know there is only one true archive of internet content, the Wayback Machine, and there will be trouble if this silly law tries to meddle with it, because it has many important applications for academia, historians, culture, researchers, journalists. librarians, archivists and scientists. If this new law only targets unwisely posted photos of people's privates on social media I don't have an issue with that. Privates all look pretty much the same anyhow, I guess.

Lili Marlene said...

Me at Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/LiliMarlene