Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The unique David Bellamy OBE is the rather belated newest addition to my list. I remember watching Mr Bellamy on ABC TV way back in the 1970s when I was just a kid. He was hugely famous and compelling to watch. I think his TV shows were some of the best media creations to come out of the 1970s, along with the music of Abba and the pop science books of Richard Dawkins. David Bellamy was so knowledgeable and so passionate about the environment. Only an autistic person could feel that excited about plants.

I get abnormally excited about plants. Ever since I was a young child I’ve been unusually fascinated with inanimate natural things, and nature in general. When the kids and I go on a bush walk I’m always pointing out the fascinating flora and wildlife. I like to make accurate plant identifications, knowing the current botanical Latin names, and I tell everyone what they are whether they want to know or not. I’d feel that I was an inadequate, pathetic failure in life if I couldn’t at least tell the difference between a trigger plant and a fan flower. There is always something splendid blooming where we live. In spring the beauty is obvious to anyone, one is surrounded with stunning colour. At other times of the year you may need to look close or look carefully to see nature’s fascinating show. We sniff and touch things as we go. I sometimes pinch leaves to see if they are aromatic, and sometimes I even get down on my hands and knees to see if some low-growing flower has a perfume. The smells and fragrances are half the pleasure.

Big list here:
http://incorrectpleasures.blogspot.com/2006/09/referenced-list-of-famous-or-important.html

Jane Austen may be appearing in this list in the future.

No comments: