Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Lili's list of top five pop songs that used to give me major goosebumps when I was a little girl

1. Song for Suzy by The Dudley Moore Trio. This tune was a big hit in Australia, and I remember seeing it on some old black and white TV. All modern jazz gives me goosebumps, because it doesn't sound quite right, alien and strange and alone, and because of that it evokes colours like you wouldn't believe, but the freakiest thing about this tune is the grown man wailing like a wolf or something. My blood runs cold. I love it.





2. Fool on the Hill written by The Beatles, sung by Sergio Mendez, Petula Clark, Shirley Bassey and many others. I used to find the lyrics of this tune ambiguosly creepy and creepily ambiguous. One particular version of this tune was full of tension and drama, which really gave me chilling pause for thought as a young child. I wish I knew which version it was.





3. Horse With No Name by America. Riding through a featureless desert on a horse that doesn't even have a name? That is lost, existentially lost.





4. Wichita Lineman by Glenn Campbell. I can hear a wide, open landscape in this music, and home seems so far away.





5. Venus by Shocking Blue. It's a siren's song. That is by definition creepy and disturbing, but all great rock songs give me the goosebumps anyway. That loud wailing will surely attract men. I think that is the desired effect.

No comments: