Sunday, March 11, 2012

A cross-sensory quote from Bob Ellis, Australian political writer


Here's a rather cross-sensory piece of writing from page 85 of the 2010 political book One Hundred Days of Summer by the provocative Australian writer Bob Ellis:

"The handwritten letter turned things round for him, and Cameron's Tory conference speech about cutting services. His flavour is too Eton-cool, Annie thinks, against Brown's suffering warmth and visible decency, a near-blind man with one dead child, another incurably ill and, as it turns out, one of the loveliest dark-chocolate voices in politics. I should bet on him, I suppose, and make money."


Ellis would have lost cash. I know I should not pass judgement on the cross-sensory or synaesthetic experiences of others, because no one can really understand the experiences of another person, but I do find the idea of flavoured politicians really quite distasteful.

No comments: